Tuesday 1 September 2009

Are You Known in Hell?

I was meditating this morning in Acts 19. Paul is in Ephesus preaching Jesus and some Jewish exorcists show up on the scene.
Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists took it upon themselves to call the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, "We exorcise you by the Jesus whom Paul preaches." Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so. And the evil spirits answered and said, "Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?" (Acts 19:13-15)
As I was reading the passage I remembered a book I read a while back by Leonard Ravenhill called Why Revival Tarries. In this book he has chapter called Known In Hell where he references this passage.

These exorcists attempt to cast out a demonic spirit from a man by the "Jesus whom Paul preaches". The demon then replies "Jesus I know, and PAUL I KNOW, but who are you?". The point that Ravenhill makes is Paul as a soldier of Jesus Christ was a threat to hell and thus was known in hell. Does the devil view you as a threat to his schemes? Ravenhill says, "Paul no longer wrestled with flesh (neither his own nor any other man's); he wrestled 'against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world.' Does that shed any light on why this demon said, 'And Paul I know'?"

It's good to be a nuisance and a threat to hell. It's good to storm its gates, giving those who are lost the everlasting Gospel. I desire to be known in hell.

No comments: