Friday 21 November 2008

Definition

Thursday night during our study in Esther 4 (click here to listen) we examined the fact that Esther had one of those all important defining moments. Esther identified with God and His people when she said, "If I perish, I perish" (4:16). Esther was faced with a question: Who defines me? Is it King Jesus or King Xerxes (Ahasuerus)?

In the study I shared the following statement given by an African pastor who was martyred in Zimbabwe for his faith. He echoes Esther's statement, "If I perish, I perish".

My Colours Will Be Clear
The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I’m a disciple of Jesus. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, with slight walking, with small planning, with smooth knees, with colourless dreams, with tamed visions, with mundane talking, with chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by presence, learn by faith, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labour by power.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my compassions few, my Guide reliable, my missions clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity.

I won’t give up, shut up, or let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and preached up the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go ‘til He comes, give ‘til I drop, proclaim ‘til all know, and work ‘til he stops me. And when He comes for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me – for my colours will be clear.

No comments: